Where are we and what’s next?
Following on from our last update on the 26th June, we have now determined the next steps in our journey to make ECS a better fit to suit your needs.
On the 31st March 2020, we released a questionnaire inviting our customers to respond on how we could re-align the ECS offering. This was a different approach to engaging with you, more digitally focused, and not the traditional formal consultation.
In support of this approach, we held a customer webinar to brief you all on the questionnaire’s principles and suggestions discussing how we could work collaboratively to shape this service going forward.
So what are Elective Communication Services currently?
- Elective Communication Services is a service that allows you to request tailored service requests outside of those offered as standard. DCC is mandated to support and guide you through the development and implementation process.
- Submitting a request is free and our expression of interest form is the way to initiate discussions. At present, any ECS requests implemented offer you 6 months exclusivity, although we are exploring the option to extend this period to offer a greater value proposition to you.
- We operate ECS principles derived from the Smart Energy Code but feel that as market requirements and demand cases have evolved since its inception, we are aiming to re-align ECS to be a better fit.
- We’ve also suggested other optional or tailored services that sit outside the current SEC definition of an Elective Communications Service but we feel would be of interest to you, to enhance and develop your services further for your customers.
- This is a real opportunity for you and your business to maximise value out of DCC, without compromising the core DCC services you currently receive.
So what are the next steps?
DCC ExCo considered the results of the Elective Communications Questionnaire in July, alongside wider feedback on the DCC Business Development Plan. The feedback we have had from our Customers – both via formal surveys and informal bilateral engagement – is clear. Small scale adjustments to the existing ECS approach are unlikely to deliver what you want. The preference is for a more fundamental overhaul that would mean we could offer ECS as a lower cost, self-serve way of creating in-life change.
We will now reflect on how we might deliver this and keep you updated as to when we will have a proposition and options to engage you on.